Friday, June 10, 2011

Lessons from Italy

Hello everyone!  I'm sorry it's been a while since I've blogged but I can only say that my busy life as a working mom with 3 kids has gotten the best of me.  Some of you know that I just returned from a small villa in Tuscany where I learned to cook authentic Italian with 2 lovely Italian women.  They didn't speak a lick of English so we had a translator who was from Romania. 

One of the hardest things about being a mom is that you ALWAYS feel like you need a break.  (or is it only me that feels that way?)  You think to yourself, "Oh, if I could just have some time for myself I would be a better mom."  The only problem with that thought process is once you are gone....you miss your kids like hell!  It's really a strange dynamic and one that only moms can really understand.  I also think it's interesting that no matter where in the world you visit, women will always agree that being a mom is universally the most important job in the world!

To all my fellow moms, I thought you would find some of my lessons from Italy really hit home.

Lesson #1:  Always party like your an Italian.
While we were at our quaint Tuscan villa, there were two Italian parties in our dining room.  One was for a baptism and the other was for a first communion.  They were all day events that went well into the evening. I would even say they were 'elaborate.'  They were true celebrations with family and friends.  The Italians spent time drinking wine, eating wonderful food, drinking more wine, and talking....lots of talking and sharing their everyday stories with their families.  In our busy lives, I think sometimes we forget to cherish and enjoy these very special milestones.  I think we all need to learn to party like we are Italians.

Lesson #2:  Forget worrying about the small stuff --- Italian kids have pacifiers until they go to school!
Do you ever find yourself worrying too much about "mom" things - Should I take away the pacifier? Are my kids eating well?  Should I buy "My Baby Can Read" --- if I don't will my kid pass his ACT?  Will my baby take his blanket to kindergarten?  We worry, worry, and worry some more about how bad we are screwing up our kids.  The Italians just take every day as it comes and I found --- they don't sweat the small stuff.  I found myself counting how many kids had pacifiers well past age 5.  Crazy, I know!  I'm sure Italians don't count how many kids have pacifiers when they come to the U.S.  My point is that I saw several kids - well over 10 with pacifiers after age 5.  I also found the Italian moms to be very laid back.  I decided I need to take more of their approach to raising my kids. 

Lesson #3:  Embrace your curves!
I know this one is easier said than done.  Trust me --- I still can't shake the muffin top (or as I call it - my "Grayson roll") well over a year after I've had him.  It just isn't the same to have a baby in your 40's and have all the weight just roll off.  Yes, Halle Berry can do it --- but let's be real --- most us don't have her genetic make-up.  I used to have a similar hair-do in my 30s, but that is the CLOSEST I'll ever come to Halle.  What I love about the Italian cooks I shared my week with --- forget about the bikini body.  I came back with the 10 pounds back on that I just lost!  Enjoy food, enjoy wine, enjoy life - curves or no curves.  For those of us who endlessly focus on our bodies, and are so self-conscious of our curves, this is some GREAT advice!

Lesson #4:  You can NEVER have too much of a good thing!
When you cook with the Italians, you will find that they add more olive oil, cheese and garlic than any of us would ever think about adding.  When I say they add olive oil, I mean they drench their food in olive oil.  One word I understood after my week's worth of cooking - Olio!    Then there is the wine --- lots and lots of wine.  They drink wine with every meal except breakfast.  If you wanted wine for breakfast, they would serve it to you.  The villa we stayed at was also a vineyard and winery.  I consumed more wine in 6 days that I have in a whole year here.  So, my last Italian lesson - you just can't have enough of a good thing!

 Our Tuscan Villa
 The beautiful town of Sienna
 A view from our Villa
 One of our cooking lessons
Our Italian cooks (left and right) and our translator (center)

It was the trip of a lifetime.  I took time for myself and my marriage! I missed my kids terribly but more importantly, I took the time to miss them.  We all need to find time to enjoy and celebrate our lives like the Italians. 

1 comment: