Monday, November 22, 2010

Plunk, Plunk, Plunk...what the hell is that?

It's the sound of one, then another, then another, then another nookie hitting the floor during naptime.  The baby boy has figured out how to launch his collection of nookies out of his crib for entertainment.  My friend Amy saw it first hand after we went on a little shopping expedition to one of our favorite spots (Plum Crazy).  If you haven't been to Plum Crazy you need to go.  It has awesome gifts and you can drink martinis while shopping.  My girlfriends and I like to frequent it for the chocolate martinis.  Amy was amazed there could be a mine field of nookies on the floor. I am, however, happy to report that he is starting to put his nookie in his mouth on his own --- in addition to throwing them across the room.  I guess it is really not just nookies he is launching.  He figured out that if he drops his food (or throws it) off of his high chair tray the dog will eat it.  This has provided for several smiles and coos (and may have even formed a friendship between the two.)  You should know that Shelby (the dog) has always been the little man of the house and hasn't been a fan of his new baby bro.

The sleeping situation has (I hesitate to say) improved slightly.  I don't want to jinx it but it seems like it is getting better.  We had a babysitter Saturday night and he was out of his "routine" and he made it from 8 pm - 3:30 a.m. so I guess we can throw all of the scientific "keep him in his routine" bullshit out the window.  I should mention that this coup was the same night that my teenage daughter made me feel defeated with a post to her Facebook page that "I'm ruining her life because I won't let her go to a movie with her friends."  Two interesting life adjusting phases all at once.  I just read that a teenager is like a toddler --- testing their and our limits all the time.  These two different phases may actually be more similiar than I could have imagined.

We have a short week for my favorite holiday.  I just read an email today that asked what I'm thankful for and it made me pause for a moment to collect my thoughts.  I am thankful for great friends who have helped me deal with a newborn and a teenage girl all at once.  It may be over cocktails, but it has been my basis for sanity.  My case in point was after a chocolate martini, I asked them what I was doing wrong with the sleeping situation. They informed me "I was doing great! I need to hang tough! Keep up the good work!  You aren't doing anything wrong. "  As a mom, you just need to hear that every now and then.  It's nice to know you aren't completely screwing up your kids and failing as a parent.  My friends have been there with babies and can relate (not at 42 years old :) but they've been there.  It's amazing how they can keep you grounded throughout all of the trials and tribulations of life!

And, I'm thankful for my 3 children who test my faith, endurance, and intelligence everyday.  I can't really finish this blog without mentioning the question from my middle child that stumped me today (and questioned my intelligence to a whole new level) --- "Do you think Jesus will come again?"  Who else can ask you those kind of questions where you are like "Hmmmm, I don't really know (and you REALLY don't have a clue)." 

So, take a moment and just be thankful for everything and everyone in your life today

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! It's about time some of these stories are shared with the world at large! You have to consider adding a few "reflective" posts...revisiting some of the crazy things that happened over the past 18 months before you started a blog. My mind goes to...pregnancy tests at Target, the irony of your son being the face of Madison's fertility clinic, and the tongue incident of 2010! Start writing....your fans are waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog too! Love this assignment!

    ReplyDelete